Friday, August 9, 2013

La Tranche-sur-Mer: Day 1

After a long tournament delay we were back on the wagon today. We played our first rounds at La Tranche-sur-Mer Tennis club. We were both starting in the quarterfinals and both facing players ranked 3/6. We haven't been playing too much tennis lately and it showed early in our matches. Frankie, facing a solid Frenchman in his mid 30s, won the first game before dropping the next 6. He put up a better fight in the second but today just wasn't his day. He lost 6-1, 6-2 and immediately headed to the 'white wine' section of Super U, France's equivalent of Wal-Mart.
The downtown area of La Tranche-sur-Mer, this is the least crowded it gets.
My match also started poorly, I got broken in the first game and then after allowing my opponent to hold easily, faced multiple break points in the third game. I was able to fight them off and won to take the first set to 1-2. I was playing a 42 year-old lefty who was a teaching pro in a village about 20 minutes away. He served and volleyed almost every point on his serve making quality returns essential. With his serve and volley game I stayed down a break until 3-4 when I played a great game and broke to take it to 4-4. Then I went on a tear. Winning 8 of the next 9 games I won the first set 6-4 and the second set 6-1. My backhand felt great, and I finally feel like I'm hitting the ball well. I play in the semis tomorrow against a fellow 2/6 and if I win the finals are at 4:00. Short post today because not I'm short on time. Hopefully I can update tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Dog with different colored eyes that barks every time we walk to our tent. I think he's possessed.
-Max

No comments:

Post a Comment